USS CARL VINSON Deployment

USS CARL VINSON Deployment

Monday, January 07, 2008

First long day of snowboarding

My buddy Jake and his son wanted to riding this weekend, so I made it up with them yesterday. We went to Keystone with the promise of great weather and decent snow. We didn't get that-- we got decent weather and good snow...so that worked out well!

I had taken my nephew up the week before but didn't get to ride much since I was sticking with him. I had a little pain in my knee, so I switched some settings around on my bindings.

Got on the slopes-- no problem, headed to the Santiago and Outback and spent the day there!

Really windy day most of the day, but it was around 30 deg so it was pretty easy to stay warm. First few runs were groomers. Then we hit a mogul run while Colin was taking a break to fix his boots. After that-- a few more non-stop long runs before lunch.

I changed my bindings to help my knees. The change seemed to help the knees but introduced some other problems. During front side ride, the back of the board wanted to push downhill (turn uphill). A little weight shift fixed this, but caused my glutes to flex way more than they should-- so the outside of my left butt is SORE! I'll take my board down to John at Blindside to help me adjust them.
Stopped and had a good lunch in a CROWDED lodge. Jake and Colin seemed to be having fun. After lunch we took Colin into the trees..."I don't do blacks" he said...well, he not only did blacks, he did black trees...well! Rock on Colin! Did a lot of trees before everyone started getting tired!

By the end of the day, the outside of my calf muscles were locked up tight...ouch...we worked our way back to the front side and did the last run to the River Run. Jake went up on the side of the run through a gully and missed a set of whoops...Yard Sale...big. Fortunately he was fine and picked up his gear, put it on and finished the run. That last run had AWESOME snow. I wish my legs weren't cramped so that I could enjoy it!

Maybe Beavercreek with Linda and Brian next week.

No comments: